THIS IS WHO WE ARE

This is what we do for the joy of the King,
For His peaceable Kingdom,
For a world in despair.
And this is why we bring any hope we can give,
Any bread from the table,
Any touch of His hand.
This is what we do.
This is where we go.
This is why we sing.
This is how we live.
This is who we are.


Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pigskin Paradise

I watch . . . maybe two football games a season. (Truthfully, most years it's probably only one.) Of course that one game would be the Super Bowl! I'm a pathetic excuse for a sports fan, I know, but for some reason I usually get revved up for that one game each year. It may be the whole "national community" thing, knowing that tens of millions of Americans are glued to their flat screens. Maybe it's knowing that football season is finally over! :) I don't know for sure, but I really do enjoy it.

Anyway, this was the creme de la creme of 1-game seasons. Tonight Lyn and I shared the viewing experience with family and friends and food, and the whole thing was fantastic. Because of our NYC vacation last summer, it was easy to choose a team to root for this year.

I didn't enter the experience with any great expectations for the Giants, especially hearing all the sports pros (and my colleagues at church) place such low odds on Eli and company. Therefore, it was especially fun to be in the same room with people who watch football all the time, knowing that this game was really one of those magical, Cinderella contests, destined to be talked about for years to come.

Even though I don't have much experience as either a participant OR spectator in football, I know an amazing play when I see one: that "miraculous" showstopper when Manning refused to be tackled and then proceeded to throw the pass that put his team into scoring (winning) position. It was really a memorable moment. I can only imagine how it must have been for true Giants fans (not to mention those who'd wagered some risky $$ on the team)!

Of course, Jordin got the whole thing off to a great start with her rendering of the National Anthem. Goosebumps!

A great way to spend an evening!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Glad to know I wasn't the only one with goosebumps! Jordan was great!